The Bushnell-‐Sage Library is dedicated to informing, educating, and culturally enriching the residents of Sheffield, MA. To that end the library provides a comprehensive collection of books, magazines, video and audio materials, computers and Internet access, programming and activities designed for all age groups. First and foremost the library aims to be responsive to the needs of the community which it serves.
Town voters elect the three-member Board of Library Trustees, whose authority is derived from Chapter 78, Secions 10 and 11 of the Massachusetts General Laws. The board appoints the library director and delegates the responsibility for library management, collection development, and the provision of library services to the director. The library director is an employee of the Town of Sheffield.
Library Building and Grounds
Set well back from Route 7m ( Main Street), the 10,000 square foot Bushnell-Sage Public Library is a cheerful and vibrant place, full of light and bustle. Comfortable seating areas are scattered throughout the building. The circulation desk, public-use computer terminals, new fiction and non-fiction books, video sections, the periodicals, and the delightful children’s wing are all located on the main floor. The other fiction and non-fiction books and audio book stacks are on the second floor. The basement houses a large meeting room and kitchen facilities. There is ample parking space in font of the library building.
The library parking lot has space for 40 vehicles and features tree plantings, adding a welcoming touch to the outside of the building. The library participates in the Sheffield Tree Project, whose mission is to involve the community in planting and caring for the diverse population of trees in Sheffield.
A new hosta garden is planted on the grounds next to the Marketplace Cafe. There is a patio and gardens adjoining a 3.5 acre park in back of the library. This outdoor space is used for children’s programming. The beauty of the library grounds provides endless possibilities for programming for all ages.
- The Bushnell-Sage Library has 1,390 card holders from Sheffield.
- The library has an average of 648 visitors per week.
- Circulation in 2011 reached a new high of 68,312.
- The library is open 41 hours per week. (The minimum number of hours required by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners for a community the size of Sheffield is 15 hours.)
- There are 362 Friends of the Bushnell-Sage Library.
- The library has three public use computers.
- During a typical week, 211 people use a public internet computer.
- The library’s electronic newsletter reaches 300 readers.
- Volunteer help accounts for 36 hours worked per week.